Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Highlight Reel: When the Sun Meets the Earth

So we opened April 11!!!! After a week of late – like 11 PM ish – rehearsals we went into opening feeling prepared and nervous, but so ready to no longer be in rehearsals while also doing full time classes! So we are off and more than half way done our run of When the Sun Meets the Earth.

Let’s see, the highlight reel… opening was good, we had a smaller crowd then I would have liked but they were blessed by the show. Thursday (April 17) was a rough show – first show back without rehearsals and such, we all took it as a hint to work a little harder and we have. Allen (the author) came out on April 19 to see the show. He was not really what any of us expected….he was younger than I thought he’d be. And so funny and genuine about our performances, hearing gifts like this from the author of a show you’re working on is a rare and precious gift, and is probably something I will treasure for a long time.

A little boy about 4 came earlier to see the show with his mom. He loved it. But something that he said struck me – he looked at the abuse of the daughter (who I play) in such a child like way that it brought me to tears; he said “The daddy broke the little girl’s heart, and then she forgave him! ” I often have a hard time looking at that scene and wondering how Marianne could forgive her father so instantly…but I got my answer, from a child non the less.

On Thursday April 24 I had a special blessing. There was a little girl, who was handicapped, deaf, and in a wheelchair. She LOVES conflict. In the first scene I have with Scott I have to bend over the edge of the stage and this little girl reached out to me and tried to touch me, it threw me a little, but throughout the show she was kind of an inspiration to keep going for it. She squealed with delight nearly every time I spoke.

April 25 was a spectacular show for the whole cast, we brought the energy and played the lines and the audience responded with loads of laughter and tears. Saturday's show came with the most drama. About 15 minutes into the top of Act Two, the show had to be stopped because there was a medical crisis with one of the audience members, we held for what felt like forever…but finished the show.

Dressing room goodies: Nathan smacking his head on his chair and having a goose egg for the show (this was caused by Angus and his black face make-up), Aaron and his itchy beard, Jonathan's inability to do his own hair, boobs in the face, the charcoal, there are numerous other dressing room shenanigans but here is just a nibble. Needless to say between our backstage antics and this wonderful, blessing of a show….COME SEE IT. There are only 3 more shows left and tickets are selling fast. Blessings….

Sammantha Isaman
Mentorship II Student

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That story about the little boy brings ME to tears. He totally gets it. Beautiful show everyone. Seen it twice now and hopefully one more time before it closes. Bless you all.