Monday, July 14, 2008

To Life!!!

Alright here it is…the student summer blog. I am supposed to tell our readers out there the details and adventures of my summer spent in this tiny town of Rosebud. I am backstage writing this, and the enthusiastic clapping of the audience can be heard as our men boisterously sing L’chaim. We are already at the halfway point of our show run [of FIDDLER ON THE ROOF].

Originally when faced with the 90 performances that were to take place this summer it seemed like a huge mountain to climb. However here we are half done and it seems that another month and a half may not seem so bad after all. It is actually a joy. Yes the songs get stuck in your head and the mercantile gift shop has a habit of playing the soundtrack so the songs echo through the hallways of work and on our thirty degree days that stage is an oven. But I cannot deny the happiness I feel to be a part of such a story. Who wouldn’t want to spend their summer being in a show?

And at this halfway point what have I learned? I have learned to let myself feel, laugh or cry because the show calls for both and even after all these performances I am not beyond being moved. I am constantly surprised at what this show brings forth. I know how to gage the audience. Going to work right before the show does have its benefits, it means I usually get to see and talk to most of the people we are performing for.

I have learned other things as well, things that our patrons are not aware of but in our every day life is essential. I know that the bottom step on the ladder stage right squeaks loudly when stepped on and therefore have the habit of skipping it. (Of course this being said someone might have fixed the step and I would never know!) It is interesting to watch the rest of the cast and their habits. I have started to become familiar with them whether it is the Constable reading on the couch, Perchik contemplating backstage or the fascinating conversations next to the costume repair sheet. Some of the topics we have covered so far include hypnotism, relationships and underwear. I guess this first blog is to tell the world that I am having fun, that I love being a part of Fiddler on the Roof and there are more entries to come.

To Life!!!

Kendra Hutchinson
Graduate of mentorship level one

No comments: